Subject: RE: [xliff] What is XLIFF for?

Hi Bryan,

As an example of the third scenario mentioned by Yves, we (as a customer) use XLIFF to transport data between our GMS and our MT system before the data is made available to our LSPs (in a format that may or may not be XLIFF).

Kind regards,

Johann

Johann Roturier
Principal Research Engineer
Shared Engineering Services
Symantec Limited
www.symantec.com
--------------------------------
Office: (353) 1 861 7102
Fax: (353) 1 861 7219
--------------------------------

Symantec Limited, Trading address: Ballycoolin Business Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15; CRO Registration number 159355; Registered Office: South Bank House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland.
This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@translate.com]
Sent: 15 September 2010 22:49
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Bryan,

> What are some of the other scenarios?
> Forgive me if I'm showing my naiveté.

Here are my 2 cents:

3 - For transporting between different tools data that are in the process of being localized/translated. Some processes involve tools from different origins and XLIFF is used as the medium to transfer the data from one to the other. In that scenario, the documents from the customer to the LSP may have been XLIFF or something else, and the translated documents the LSP send back to the customer may or may not be XLIFF. In short: XLIFF is used internally in the process.

4.a - Used as a native resource formats. Although it was never meant for this, some are using it as the main storage format for their localizable resources. Those resources may get compiled or not. Some do this with Flash, ICU as also a toolset to use XLIFF like this.

4.b - Some XLIFF elements are used within other XML-based resource formats. A good example of this is Android resource files, I see more and more of those resources using the XLIFF namespace, like here: http://code.google.com/p/apps-for-android/source/browse/trunk/DivideAndConquer/res/values/strings.xml?r=134

5 - XLIFF used as TM repositories. I think there is a presentation on that at the Symposium.

One note on your #2: I'm not sure any tool uses XLIFF as a storage format *natively*. Rodolfo can correct me, but for example in Swordfish, I think, the project's data are saved in a database. Trados has its own format as well. All those tools can certainly read XLIFF seamlessly, and they can produce XLIFF as well, but that is not their *native* format.

To me a format is 'native' when I can modify the file of a project outside the tool and see the modifications once the same project is open, without doing import/update or any command like that. For example, TMX is used natively by OmegaT: the data of the project are saved in TMX, I can modify those TMX files outside OmegaT and the change are just there when I open the project.