Subject: Re: [xliff] Simplified XLIFF element tree

  Hi Yves and all,

Apologies for the time taken to reply. Many thanks for your comments and
clarification.

Best Regards,

AZ

On 02/09/2010 05:46, Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>> For systems that have chosen to pre-segment,
>> there should not be any compulsion to do
>> otherwise.
> I completely agree.
> And I didn't see any of the proposals so far trying to preventing a tool to pre-segment.
>

>> I always viewed the the original<seg-source>
>> proposal with a great deal of regret.
>> In my mind it was a very bad choice in XLIFF 1.2.
>> and has proven to be so.
> Several tools work perfectly well with the current 1.2 segmentation. They also inter-operate well.
> Which is more than we can say about the non-1.2-standard way of using trans-unit as segments holder. The example I ran into last week is only one among the several distressful cases were we could simply not use the XLIFF files generated with such pre-segmented content.
>
> The two main issues with<seg-source>  are: a) it does not allow to set 1.2 flags like state and others at the segment level; and b) it duplicates the content. So the 1.2 segmentation representation certainly needs a make-over, but as far as my experience it has been proven to work fine for tools that implement it.
>
> What has been proven a dangerous adventure is choosing to use proprietary ways of representing segmentation that cause a lack of interoperability with other tools.
>
> Cheers,
> -yves

email - azydron@xtm-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron
	PO Box 2167
         Gerrards Cross
         Bucks SL9 8XF
	United Kingdom
Mobile +(44) 7966 477 181
FAX    +(44) 1753 480 465
www - http://www.xtm-intl.com

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you may not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless explicitly stated
otherwise this message is provided for informational purposes only and
should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Andrzej Zydro=C5=84
n;quoted-printable:Zydro=C5=84;Andrzej
email;internet:azydron@xml-intl.com