Subject: RE: [xliff] Input to discussion on Conformance

Hi Christian,

As I see it, you are trying to qualify the conformance of tools and their adequacy to a given category. We cannot afford to do that.

What we can do at this moment is publish a program that validates XLIFF files. We can check whether an XLIFF document is valid or not, but we cannot say that tool A conforms to a certain category and, if tool B conforms to the same category, infer anything about their interoperability.

Also, we cannot control what the publishers of tools A and B state about the conformance levels of their tools. Their marketing staff will handle that.

Look at what the market offers today. There are tools that use custom extensions and tools that don't use them. I write tools that don't use extensions, but my tools support the extensions from vendor A and don't fully support extensions from vendor B. This means that you cannot classify my tools. However, you can actually evaluate the conformance of the XLIFF files my tools generate.

Interoperability problems have multiple causes, not only the inclusion of custom extensions. For example, you can have a perfectly valid XLIFF document without custom extensions that uses <bin-unit> elements and not all tools that support XLIFF will be able to handle your file. The classification model you proposed doesn't contemplate this case.

You can find silly interoperability problems that cannot be handled by the proposed categories. Consider the case of a tool that generates XLIFF files that are valid most of the time but cannot read its own XLIFF documents if another program changes the order of attributes in an element.

If we include classification criteria for XLIFF tools in the conformance section, don't expect tool vendors to indicate the level of conformance of their tools in whatever terms we prescribe in that section. You can find in the market today tools that advertise support for XLIFF and cannot handle the official examples published by this TC.

Rodolfo M. Raya   <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Maxprograms      http://www.maxprograms.com