OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: XLIFF Teleconference - Mar-1-2011 - Summary

Teleconference - Summary
Date:  Tuesday, 01 March 2011

=== 1/ Roll call

Present: Rodolfo, Bryan, Christian, Yves, Andrew, Lucia.
Regrets: David, Arle.
Absents: Peter.
Quorum achieved

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 14 February 2011 meeting minutes:
Accept, reject, or amend.

Bryan moves to accept the minutes
Rodolfo seconds.
No objections

=== 3.1. ISO/OASIS XLIFF - XLIFF as an ISO standard (Peter)

Peter not present.
Bryan checked about the interoperability event at Limerick. Thinks the requirements have been achieved.
Rodolfo: Yes, Dee did say it was enough to be an interoperability event.

=== 3.2. XLIFF Symposium Debrief: "Voice of our customer" (Christian)
- Reminder, Christian distributed a draft article on this topic
- Consolidated takeaways wiki page (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/Consolidated%20Takesaways%20from%20First%20XLIFF%20Symposium)
- Christian's slides: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/download.php/39848/2010-10-08_1st%20XLIFF%20Symposium%20-%20XLIFF%20TC%20Summary-draft.pdf

Bryan: Christian worked on this. Draft provided. Liked it.
Rodolfo: read it too. Disagree with many of the suggestions made by the public there, but article looks fine.
Christian: same here. Consider myself as a "reporter" for this article.
Bryan: helped me to remember the range of issues.

Christian: I would be interested in the following:
1. a general OK from the TC "Yes, let's publish this
All: +1.

2. suggestions for a good place to publish?
Rodolfo: Maybe XML.org (Robin Cover)
Christian: Good idea.
Bryan: maybe a place with agreement for republication if needed.
Christian: Multilingual?
Bryan, Rodolfo, Yves: sounds good.
Christian: will try both.
I think it is important to listen to our users

Rodolfo: Just make just it's clear that it's a consolidation of the public opinion, not the TC's opinion. But the TC will consider it.
Bryan, Yves: +1

Lucia: Maybe Not enough stress on the "modular" idea. But impressive work.
Christian: point taken.

Bryan: one point was no reference implementation.
Would be good to have one (like the DITA-OT)
Rodolfo: yes, and it's part of the original requirements of 2.0
Some validation system maybe.
Christian: Some of this was done for ITS.

=== 3.3. 2nd Annual XLIFF Symposium in Poland progress (Peter)

Peter in absent.
Bryan: not many news for this.
Rodolfo: I may be able to attend.
Bryan: Seems some European events have been moved forward.
Lucia: nothing on the Web page yet.
Rodolfo: Not official by the TM-Europe yet I think.
Bryan: It is official on the TC side.

=== 3.4. Gathering common extension points from 
existing XLIFF Tools as a guide for 2.0 features (Bryan, Thomas)
- Rodolfo added links to XLIFF 1.2 extension points to the wiki
- Micah approves maintenance of the matrix to be taken over by the TC
- Arle posted examples of how other TCs chart support for their standard
- Scott McGrath is looking into this for XLIFF

Bryan: described activities at OASIS for this.
Waiting for summary from Scott.

Rodolfo: dita.xml.org is a paid space. It's not an "objective" place.
Also: added to the wiki is a couple of links to the schema, not a description of the extensions.

Yves: will try to work on my action items for the extension gathering.

=== 3.5. XLIFF Spec in XLIFF

Bryan: Just for fun. Not quite 1.2 specification, more like a snapshot of the current working draft.
Maybe we should translate the specification at some point.

Lucia: University Salamanca could work on this maybe. Need a tutor for this (I could do this).
We may have to wait until October if we don't move soon.
Bryan: would act on this soon, for 2.0.
Lucia: FAQ and white-papers could be good way to expend info about the format.
Rodolfo: if we translate, we should make sure to provide the translated XLIFF. 
I can also do the review.
Bryan: will check about supporting documents.

=== 3.6. Arle posted feedback on implementation of current XLIFF 

Bryan: Think we had most of that feedback.
Rodolfo: Yes. Seems not all their XLIFF documents are valid, may explain some of the issues.
Bryan: good comments, somewhat already known.
Christian: +1
Bryan: any feedback is welcome.

=== 4.1. Inline text (Yves)
a. Dependencies with other parts of XLIFF 2.0 
(dependencies http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201102/msg00002.html)
b. Yves requested and received input on storing native data of inline codes

Rodolfo: Twop options currently: in skeleton or not. Simplifying would be better.
May just one tag. Text and data. Maybe in an auxiliary file, or in the header.
Personal request: no data in attributes. They are to qualify the content rather than store data.

Rodolfo: Dependency: segmentation.
Feed-forward: please not in the source text. Leads to difficulties.
Yves: +1.
BTW Need to work on the segmentation representation in the TC as soon as possible.

=== 5.1. Requirements:
Simplified XLIFF element tree (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201008/msg00012.html)
and Christian's idea of Domains (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201009/msg00004.html)
and Asgeir started a thread on multiple File elements (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201006/msg00012.html)
- Will a current TC member take ownership, or shall we dismiss multiple  elements for now?

Some requirements were submitted by member no longer active. Anyone who wants to take over -> please edit the wiki.

Yves: propose to start working on the bare-bone/core first and move forward from there.
Bryan: +1

Rodolfo: need to start thread on those topics. Take the results and generate elements names/attribute lists, etc.
Bryan: need to keep thing simple.
Rodolfo: seem in some case people want more complex.

Bryan: ACTION ITEM: All to look at the feature list
and documents not-included items.

=== 5.3. Bryan consolidated items from the dashboard into the features tracking page. Propose discontinue support/reference of dashboard

Bryan: Did moved the items to the tracking page.

=== 7. Any new business?


Next meeting is March 14.


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]