OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Teleconference Summary (Mar-15-2011)

XLIFF TC Teleconference
March-15-2011 - Summary

=== 1/ Roll call

Presents: Rodolfo, Andrew, Yves, Bryan, Helena (new from IBM), David, Christian, Peter, David Walter, Lucia.

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 01 March 2011 meeting minutes:
Accept, reject, or amend.

Bryan moves to accept the minutes.
Andrew seconds.
No objections.

Two new members:
- Helena Chapman (IBM). 
- David Walter (IBM).
Plan to be regular attendees.
Bryan: good to have IBM active in the TC. Welcome.

=== 3/ Current XLIFF business
1. ISO/OASIS XLIFF - XLIFF as an ISO standard (Peter)

Peter: (no mike) Nothing to report on ISO

=== 2. XLIFF Symposium Debrief: "Voice of our customer" (Christian)
- Christian is in contact with Multilingual and has written to Robin Cover

In touch with Multilingual editor: interested. Some chances for the June issue (not sure yet)
Robin Cover also contacted: no answer yet.

Also note XLIFF article from Jaime Mateo in ML March.

=== 3. 2nd Annual XLIFF Symposium in Poland progress (Peter)

Peter: We will be sending out the call for papers in the next few weeks.
I will draft this and send this to the TC before sending out.
The TC will have this for the next meeting and I will send this out after that.
I will liaise with David/LRC on people who get this last year.

=== 4. Gathering common extension points from 
existing XLIFF Tools as a guide for 2.0 features (Bryan, Thomas)
- Lucia taking over Micah's matrix?
- Arle posted examples of how other TCs chart support for their standard (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201102/msg00017.html)
- Scott McGrath (OASIS) is looking semi-sponsor site for XLIFF

David: connected with LionBridge and Multicorpa at the std summit.
LIOX (Joachim Schurig) uses just XLIFF, put will share type of usage.
Multicorpora (Shirley Coady) should be joining the TC in April
We will have minutes from the discussion once Multicorpora has joined. Want to ensure 2.0 complies to their needs.
Yves: late on my action item. Will try for next meeting.
Rodolfo: Andrzej to share XTM custom extensions
Christian: is it for Freeway (the LIOX usage)
David: have XLIFF editor in their technology stack. Looks like editing RTF in doc.
Peter: They have a web service interface for freeway which uses XLIFF for file transfer (or had).
Micha has included information on this in his extensions. The Interoperability-Now group will have some extensions
David: MultilingualWeb in Pisa in April, Christian and Felix will speak there. David will give also a talk on XLIFF, and others.
Info on the Pisa workshop http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/pisa-workshop/pisa-cfp
LISA is gone.
Opportunity for consolidation of the standards.
Helena: possible SC for localization at UNICODE consortium. Still waiting for answer, but looking good.
David: LISA standards would need to be bought from LISA.
Rodolfo: 3 options: donation to OASIS, OMG and ETSI. No idea about if donations possible or not.
David: Taking the std and creating a new version would require obtaining the brand. It is guarded by insolvency court.
Rodolfo: doesn't matter. Can improve by doing something different. It's RF for use.
Seems XLIFF was seen as superseding TMX for TM exchange at the summit.
Rodolfo: Task force created for new std for localization interchange
David: container format. High level format.
Currently forming a consortium funded by EC  and led by LRC for:
a) funding work by companies on l10n tc in OASIS and Unicode,
b) coordinate the work (workshop, etc. help on communications)
c) funding of open-source ref implementations (e.g. Kilgray, LIOX, Andrä, etc.)

Peter:  Does anyone know what is covered under the agreement between OASIS and LISA ?
Rodolfo: was just a member. OAXAL mentioned both LISA and OASIS stds.
David: open call currently.
Rodolfo: another call was closed in Nov (with result in April)
Bryan: interested in contain format, need to understand more. Some concern about overlap.
David: same here. Hence the coordination consortium.
Info on container: light (UBL-related), one template, contain most probably XLIFF.
One of the first mention of the container format might be in:
(slide 20)

Bryan: need to digest all this. Maybe email thread.

=== 5. XLIFF Spec in XLIFF (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201102/msg00011.html)
- Assume we can go ahead and accept Lucia's generous offer to oversee the 
translation of XLIFF to Spanish by University Salamanca, following this 
OASIS policy: http://www.oasis-open.org/about/translation_policy.php

Bryan: See URL for policy.
Until we hear from OASIS that would be the guideline
David: will tell her.
Lucia (later): we just need to have the agreement signed.

=== 4/ Sub Committee Reports
1. Inline text (Yves)
a. Dependencies with other parts of XLIFF 2.0 

- summary is here:
- reviewed the feedback received on native data storage.
- started discussion about permissions clone/delete/etc.
- note that the effort is losing steam (2 months with very low attendance)

David: Joachim (LIOX) will probably post feedback.

=== 5/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking)
note: entered Simplified XLIFF element tree and Christian's idea of Domains to 
existing requirement:
and entered Asgeir's thread on multiple File elements)
note: Yves: proposed to start working on the bare-bone/core first and move forward from there.
Shall we work on this requirement first, then evaluate the remaining proposals under consideration?
Rodolfo: we need to work on both items
Yves: +1

Bryan: should we work on the first requirement and go continue building the list?

=== 7/ New Business

Any new business?

-meeting adjourned

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]