OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [xliff] Groups - XLIFF Teleconference added

XLIFF TC Teleconference - Tuesday, 05 April 2011 - Summary

=== 1/ Roll call

Present: Yves, Peter, David-W (Dave), Bryan, Lucía, Helena, 
Regrets: David-F
Absents: Christian, Rodolfo, Andrew

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 15 March 2011 meeting minutes:

No quorum yet - postponed.

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking)

=== 3.1. Review items approved in section 1
we now have 4 approved new features and 16 proposed features to be evaluated

Bryan: let's work on "bare bone core" item

Maybe we can look at this and the matrix from Micah.
Do we have a good feel for this core?

Yves: think segmentation should be in the core.
Bryan: think so too.
Dave-W: what is the purpose of the core? How it's going to be used?
Bryan: comes from the feedback we got. 1.2 is too much and therefore has many issues.
Many tools don't support all of XLIFF 1.2.
Idea is to have a core, a minimal simple set of elements/attributes, that are fundamental, clear and unambiguous.
Other features would be additional optional modules. This allows tools to support only what they need.

Helena: SRX+TR29 should be something defined somewhere else.
Y: Yes.
We are talking about the result of the segmentation not the rules to do the segmentation.

Helena: what pre-translation means here?
Yves: Set of possible translations of the source (not work on the source to make it more translatable)

Bryan: Rodolfo has proposed a starting point.
notion of should we have or not a core has been voted on already (we will have a core).
Now we need to decide what goes in it.
May need a set of terms to explains all those things.
Idea is to simplify, clarify and extend.
Is extension/modules/core/etc. are good term we need to use.

Helena: is the core the minimal for interoperability?
Bryan: yes
We have a requirement to have conformance clauses along with the specification.

Helena: about the extension: do we have a place to describe those.
Yves: to some degree. We have been trying to gather those extensions.

Bryan: terms like extension needs to be used carefully. 
Extensions are not in XLIFF namespace.
Whereas the concept of skeleton may be a module (an optional part) of the XLIFF namespace.

=== 3.2. Begin work evaluating proposed features

Not discussed today.

=== 3.3. Conformance criteria

Not discussed today.

=== 4/ Current XLIFF business

=== 4.1. Peter's request that our TC, along with former OSCAR members discuss OASIS/XIFF taking over TMX/SRX

Peter: Need joined meeting with ex-OSCAR group and look at how OASIS can help.
OASIS seems suitable.
TMX, TBX, SRX have supports, other may need more support to be continued.
Meeting would help to sort out situation.
Also important to get ex-OSCAR people involved in OASIS
TBX is also ISO so easier to continued.

Bryan: sounds sensible.
e.g. heard suggestion that TMX could fit under XLIFF (or be replaced by).
From OASIS viewpoint it should be different than an official OASIS TC call.
Need to get names of people needing to be contacted.

Helena: Seems Arle to setup the meeting would make sense.
ETSI, TAUS, GALA have stepped forward. ETSI setting up SIG.
Unicode may be a proper place for some part of the standards too.
Meeting would gage the interest level and the plans.

Peter: would prefer talk to people who would actually work on the TCs.
Seen GALA getting involved.
More practical meeting may be better?
Arle is involved with GALA, he could keep channel open.
Otherwise, there is maybe too many agendas, politics.
Helena: then who do you not invite?
Peter: TAUS and GALA since they are not involved yet.
Just a more practical meeting.

Helena: Arle is central so he should be involved.
Peter: yes.
Bryan: kind of agree with Peter.
Practical meeting may be more efficient to start.
Would be good to involve Arle obviously.
Wish we can hear from David-F and Rodolfo. They were discussing legal aspects.
From XLIFF TC: It seems the TC should be at the table.
So need to open the communication.
Including TMX in charter could be possible.

Peter: will contact Arle + Rodolfo + Peter to start planning the meeting.
Helena: David-F and I should be involved too.
ESTI is moving on this.
It's an opportunity for many organizations.

=== 4.2. ISO/OASIS XLIFF - XLIFF as an ISO standard (Peter)

No news.

=== 4.3. XLIFF Symposium Debrief: "Voice of our customer" (Christian)
- Christian is in contact with Multilingual and has written to Robin Cover

Discussion postponed.

=== 4.4. 2nd Annual XLIFF Symposium in Poland progress (Peter)

Call for paper is out to TC. (not in archives yet)
Would like cooperation of the Scientific committee of last year.
Also question: how should the papers be sent? Need guidance.
Bryan: liked the way the package of proposals was sent last year.
Yves: +1
Lucía: was very manual. Abstracts and rating sheet.
Will send the material to Peter.

Lucía: could we get the "XLIFF symposium" email from Peter?
Yves: +1 (didn't get it either)

=== 4.5. Gathering common extension points from 
existing XLIFF Tools as a guide for 2.0 features (Bryan, Thomas)
- Lucia has taken over Micah's matrix
- Arle posted examples of how other TCs chart support for their standard (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201102/msg00017.html)
- Scott McGrath is looking into this for XLIFF - no word yet about his findings
- Extension Schemas added for XTM and MemoQ (thanks to Andrzej, Peter, and Rodolfo)

Bryan: Rodolfo has continued to gather more schema.
Extensions from XTM, MemoQ have been added.

Lucía is handling the matrix now (to be a wiki page)
Lucía: will start this week. Talking to Virtaal about their extensions.

Yves: Talk to ONTRAM: they will send us their extensions (Stefan had no time to do it yet)

=== 4.6. XLIFF Spec in XLIFF (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201102/msg00011.html)
- Lucia provided the paper work to get this started. Bryan will ensures the papers this week.

Bryan: specification to be translated into Spanish. Thanks for Lucía.
Working on paperwork.

=== 4.7. TAUS role extended to Interoperability Watchdog (Bryan)

Bryan: answered that it was good that XLIFF and TMX were important for their members.
Asked if they could contribute.
TAUS has assigned someone.
Liaison should be worked out between TAUS and OASIS.

=== 4.8. GALA Lisbon roundtable on changing landscape of localization industry standards (Yves, Lucia)

Lucía: Was difficult to follow.
Not much new things.
All wanted standard compliance and certification

Helena: TAUS has been pushing for this. Idea is to have a "dashboard" to show the different level of compliance for different tools.
Would be a resource from the buyer side.

=== 4.9. Variants - Wording in Spec (Christian)

discussion tabled.

=== 4.10. Sub Committee Reports
- Inline text (Yves)

Not much to report. Working on permissions.
Bryan: difficult to attend for me.
Yves: will try to work more by emails.

=== 5/ Charter

Not discussed today.

=== 6/ New Business



[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]