Subject: ISO TC 37 Liaison

Peter, thank you for providing the liaison report for ISO TC 37 and for
fulfilling this role.  I have two comments on the report.

1. On MLIF:

Obviously, the view of TC members that XLIFF does not belong as part
of MLIF is a technical conclusion well outside of my own expertise.
But it does make me mindful that XLIFF may be presented, generally,
as part of a suite of functional specs.

There is nothing OASIS need do, when someone independently states
that users ought to use conformant XLIFF along with specific other
methods.  On the other hand, if someone wished to alter, integrate
and refactor XLIFF into some other work, they'd need to work with
OASIS and your TC first.

I recall that some LISA experts published about the idea that XLIFF
ought to be aggregated with some other capabilities in the manner
described in the OASIS OAXAL TC's proposed architecture.  Is that
something of interest to the XLIFF TC members?

2.  On submissions.  We do need to make sure that an OASIS
submission of XLIFF to ISO is correctly described as a possibility,
subject to some conditions, rather than a sure thing.

We understand that the TC wishes eventually to have XLIFF shared
by submission of the completed v1.2 work to ISO.  Our policy permits
that, if certain milestones are met [a].  While they seem feasible, in this
case, their successful completion is not a certainty.

   [a]  http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison#submitwork

In case your draft report is mistakenly taken as a promise of certain
submission, I will send a supplemental note to the TC 37 secretariat,
with a copy to this TC, making it clear that there are some conditions
that first must be fulfilled.

Kind regards  Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS