Subject: proposal to form promotion and liaison SC

Hi all,

hearing the discussion in the last minutes of the meeting today, I propose to set up XLIFF promotion and liaison SC.

This might seem bureaucratic but I believe that it is the one solution that should please all, because:

1) Attendance will be optional for TC members (required from subcommittee members) as SC meeting attendance obviously does not affect TC voting rights
2) SC will be able to vote on its own quorum and bring most important issues up for voting, never taking more than 10min from the TC meeting
3) monthly SC with published minutes will ensure the proper transparency of discussions.
4) As Helena pointed out, quick ad hoc meetings might be needed, and that should be OK, as the smaller group should be able to act more flexibly if needed..

Background Info:
Back in 2008/2009 there was a discussion whether we need a separate subcommittee for adoption/promotion which resulted in appointing Peter and I to keep an eye on these things on behalf of the committee. The LISA implosion and increasing political activity preceding the imminent advent of 2.0 just blew up these things beyond the proportion that the TC had been used to in the calm period between 2006 and 2009.

I personally think that we need this SC at least until the status of TMX and SRX is resolved. And even if these are resolved quickly, the SC will need to work on and for OASIS organizational ballots, XLIFF Symposium stuff, and formal liaisons with owners of related standards.
I see a need of having at least the following: ULI liaison, ISO TC37, and ETSI ISG LIS liaison. we should also informally liaise and coordinate with GALA, TAUS and European Commission..

Although most of the people are rightfully bored with non-technical discussions that is slowing dow the technical progress, the best technical spec needs some political work to get broadly discussed, voted through in a historically short time frame, and most importantly adopted quickly and enthusiastically..
..
This said, I think that it should be possible to put the SC to sleep some time late in 2012, after we have pushed the 2.0 and a few modules through OASIS organizational ballots, and the SC should be mandated accordingly with clear goals drawing from the above and/or for a limited time frame..

Thanks for your attention

mobile: +353-86-049-34-68