Subject: Re: [xliff] Preserve XML attribute or metadata without extensibility

> I think the cleaner option is to have no skeleton in the XLIFF document :) Just a pointer to it. Or even nothing at all (and let the tool work out the link using its package/manifest).

Yves, you are of course right ;-)

> The question is: do we want XLIFF 2.0 to have an optional *standard* skeleton mechanism? (There is no such requirement in the feature list currently)
>
> If the answer is yes, then having a place to store the skeleton between units would certainly be a clean and simple way to do it.

If a skeleton is needed then I would, in general prefer to see it stored as you describe. But if there is no need for it as a standard mechanism, it does make life much simpler not to have it.

> Note that it won't work easily with all file formats (try this with an IDML file for example, or a .NET satellite assembly).

If there is a unit-level skeleton, then we might want to have guidance for users on how best to use it since it won't work well everywhere. Seems like useful implementation knowledge.

-Arle