Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Req 1.15 Representation of invalid XML characters

Hi David, Steven, Helena, all

In our discussion about how to represent characters invalid in XML in XLIFF we've adopted an element similar to LDML's cp.

In the processing expectation we are trying to decide what the user agent is suppose to do when the hex attribute value is invalid (e.g. hex='qwerty').

Christian suggested to reach out to LDML for some ideas as this may have been discussed there already.
David, Stevens, Helena: Any thought?

I'm guessing Stevens may be more involved with LDML than David or Helena (pure speculation from me).
I'm adding the TC mailing list on the thread, so he can see and post an answer if needed. (joining the SC to be able to post there is the other option)

Below is an extract of our latest exchange.
You can see all the emails here:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/
(search for the one with "1.15 Representation of invalid XML characters" in their title)

> Maybe: "If the value of the hex attribute is invalid,
> the Readers MUST generate an error and MAY terminate
> the process. This specification does not prescribe how
> invalid <cp> values are represented in the parsed content."
>
> But I still think it would be better to have an expected
> behavior: it helps interoperability. U+FFFD seems to be
> applicable for such case according to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replacement_character#Replacement_character).
>
CL> I would be tempted to reach out to someone from LDML
CL> (or general Unicode) to get guidance.

Any pointer would be welcome,