Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: [xliff-inline] Req 1.15 Representation of invalid XML characters

Hi Yves,

The draft for inline codes that is in SVN says:

  • hex - mandatory. Hexadecimal value of the character's code point.
    The value can be padded with zeros and in upper or lower case. Allowed values are between hexadecimal 0000 and 10FFFF, both included.

I would change the text to indicate that the following valid character ranges are excluded:

#x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#x10FFFF]

Notice that in the W3C recommendation for XML schemas the canonical representation for hex values uses upper case hexadecimal digits. Lower case digits ([a-f]) are not allowed. See http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#hexBinary item 2, Canonical Representation. It would be easier to validate using XML schema if XLIFF doesn’t allow lower case.

Rodolfo M. Raya   <rmraya@maxprograms.com>

Maxprograms      http://www.maxprograms.com