Subject: FW: [xliff-inline] Representing information for the starting/ending/standalone parts

From: Yves Savourel [yves.savourel@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 12:14 PM
To: Schnabel, Bryan S

Bryan: The email service provider for the mailing address I use for OASIS is having problems today. Could you copy my email to the list? Thanks.

=========

Hi Bryan, all,

> (1) <sc>/<ec> alone or
> . . . or (I thought I heard) (3) <pc> alone with attributes to also
> carry the load of <sc>/<ec>

There is no option (3). We cannot represent spans segmented at the middle with <pc>...</pc> no matter what attributes it would carries.

> need to investigate the attribute id on each to know which goes with
> the other.

Actually id and rid, but yes <sc> and <ec> are linked with a common ID value.

> But if we have a rule that <pc> is always used in a single span, and
> <sc>/<ec> is only used in cases where the code crosses spans, the
> nature of the code and the span could not be clearer.

Each representations seems as clear as the other to me. But it's just me.

The bottom line is that all tools would have to handle both notations, not just one, because <pc> cannot be used in all cases. That means more code to write, to test, more chances of errors, more confusion. For end-users working directly with the XLIFF file in an editor that means always having to look for both notations: search and replaces, etc.