Subject: RE: [xliff] Event "XLIFF TC Call" - Summary

Hi Yves,

An XLIFF editor doesn't need any special element on the XLIFF side to render BiDi text. Editing BiDi text without a special marker can be done today with XLIFF 1.2 and was also possible long ago with XLIFF 1.0 so I don't see a need to add anything new to this regard in XLIFF 2.0.

Swordfish analyzes the text to translate and renders it using the BiDi algorithm from Unicode. The program doesn't need a hint from the XLIFF markup to render mixed text.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com

-----Original Message-----
From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Yves Savourel
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:51 AM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Helena,

> ... I don't understand the part about "bidi info"
> re paragraph direction in XLIFF context? Why is the directional
> attributes a concern of XLIFF?
> I can understand why one needs <bdi> in HTML/CSS env for rendering
> purposes but I don't get why this is needed in XLIFF?

For the same reason: An XLIFF editor tool needs to be able to edit/render bidi text, so it needs to somehow store bidi markers, either as Unicode characters or as elements. During the SC discussion last week, both Andrew and Fredrik noted that their XLIFF editors are using Unicode characters for this. They also noted that having the main directionality of the paragraph was needed too. Hence the mention that we may need to have some kind of attribute at the paragraph level (<unit>) that provides such information.

I wonder what other tool use for bidi markers. For example Swordfish, OpenTM2, MultiTrans, etc?