Subject: Segmentation as core or not

Hi all,

To continue on the discussion whether the "segmentation" feature is core or not:

I think Dave has an obviously valid point when saying that segmentation is not necessarily done at the time of the extraction, and therefore we could have un-segmented XLIFF.

But to me a "segment" is not necessarily the result of a segmentation process it can be a "block" extracted from the original format (as our definition states: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel#Definitions.2BAC8-Terminology).
So each un-segmented entry is, by nature a segment, that simply contains potentially several sentences.

Maybe things would more clear if we think about the element <segment> as a "part" rather than a "segment"? The Segmentation representation addresses how to organize and manipulate such parts.

<unit id='1'>
 <part>
  <source>Sentence one. Sentence two.</source>
 </part>
</unit>

<unit id='1'>
<part>
  <source>Sentence one. </source>
 </part>
 <part>
  <source> Sentence two.</source>
 </part>
</unit>

Maybe, viewed from that angle it's more clear that such element needs to be part of the core?