Subject: RE: [xliff] Segmentation as core or not

Rodolfo. You brought up an interesting point "To apply segmentation process to an already existing XLIFF file is an optional task. Recording that such task has been performed is the  optional part. For the process to be possible, the text must already be in the XLIFF file and it has to be in some containers. "

I believe we are talking about two very distinct process activities here: 1. partition content into parts (core) 2. refine the definition of #1 into segments (module)

I agree any existing XLIFF file will already include "parts" of content. How these parts were defined by what tools is something the module can then define. For example, one might expect metadata about what the parts mean according to other standard or non-standard definition. For example, word vs sentence according to UAX#29 or paragraph vs chapter based on Acme Translation Agency Inc. internal definition? The latter is what Steven is referring to as logging.

We definitely should rethink the taxonomy of what we call "segmentation" today. Note that I didn't use the word "terminology" to further pollute the conversation.

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts

From:        "Rodolfo M. Raya" <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
To:        <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        11/08/2011 04:37 AM
Sent by:        <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi,

I think there is a huge confusion between the segmentation process and storing segments in XLIFF.

Text extracted for translation and stored in an XLIFF file needs to be stored in some elements that act as containers. If XLIFF doesn't have containers for holding localizable text, then the localizable text can't be exchanged and the "L" and "I" fail in the XLIFF acronym.

Extracted text can be segmented before the XLIFF file is created (my tools have been doing this for years) or after the XLIFF has been created. A tool processing XLIFF files should not care about when segmentation was done. More, the segmentation process is completely optional.

To apply segmentation process to an already existing XLIFF file is an optional task. Recording that such task has been performed is the  optional part. For the process to be possible, the text must already be in the XLIFF file and it has to be in some containers.

Storing translatable text in XLIFF files is not optional. Elements for holding that text are required and elements for holding the translations of that text are also an integral part of XLIFF.

What we have so far in the XLIFF schema draft is a set of elements and attributes for holding translatable text and its translations.

In the schema we don't have information that indicates how and when segmentation process occurred.

In the wiki we have a proposal for decorating current schema draft with elements and attributes containing information about the segmentation process. The proposal in the wiki augments the scope of the basic elements already present in the schema draft by adding attributes and processing expectations to elements that must be present in any XLIFF file.

Although some attributes mentioned in the segmentation section in the wiki are not really necessary when an XLIFF file is created, the elements in which they appear are absolutely necessary. We can't document an element as part of the "core" schema and leave some of its attributes as optional in a separate "module".

Minimalism is a fancy trend. I like it very much and see it useful in some cases. We should not try to apply minimalism to the concept of XLIFF core; this would be a mistake as big as the mistake in XLIFF 1.2 that enabled custom extensions everywhere.

Balance is important.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms
http://www.maxprograms.com