Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 example files for segmentation

Hi David,

> The product developer would expect to get this translated
> file back after translation, which maps to the version
> of the XLIFF file which he sent out for translation.
> Are these realistic examples?

Not the last part in my opinion.

In you scenario it feels like there are two distinct file formats: one without <segment> that is fine for core-only tools, and one with <segment> that works only with tool that implement an optional the segmentation representation.

But core-only tools must be able to work even when optional modules are used in the document.

And it seems your scenario assume it's not the case: the product developer expects that the file to merge must have its segmentation representation removed to be able to work.

A realistic scenario, in my opinion, would be for the third file (translated and sentence-segmented) to come back to the product developer. And the merging tool should be able to work with it.

In that scenario you then have only two solutions:

A) <segment> is part of the core.

I think for the many reasons already mentioned the solution A is vastly preferable.