Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 example files for segmentation

Hi Arle, all,

> ...I have to admit that I'm a bit confused by the example
> and the responses. <segment> itself may be very useful,
> but if tools start playing around with <segment>s as in
> your example, I think it will lead to all sorts of
> problems.
> I would expect <segment>s to be immutable from the file
> that creates them or the ability to roundtrip the data
> runs a real risk of being broken.

Mmm... I'm not sure I understand the concern with changing segments from one tool to the other. The extraction tool does not rely on <segment> or its optional id value to merge anything back: it uses <unit>.

Tools should be able to modify the segmentation inside a <unit> otherwise how would translators correct mis-segmented entries for example? Or smart tools would re-segment a <unit> based on a TM to get more optimal matches?, etc.