Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 example files for segmentation

Hi Arle,

When I say "tools don't need to worry about segmentation" I mean tools don't need to worry about the segmentation process.

The elements that contain segment text and allow freedom in segmentation process should be part of the core.
Infrastructure is a must have, the process is something optional.

Rodolfo M. Raya <RMRAYA@MAXPROGRAMS.COM>
Maxprograms http://www.maxprograms.com

-------- Original Message --------
From: Arle Lommel <alommel@gala-global.org>
Date: Wed, November 09, 2011 8:57 pm
To: "Rodolfo M. Raya" <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Cc: "XLIFF TC" <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

In essence, using <segment> moves segmentation from text extraction domain to translation domain.

In most cases, I think that makes sense. The tool needs the freedom to segment in the manner that it sees as appropriate.

Tools that create XLIFF files don't need to worry about segmentation as that is something that translators would be able to adjust at translation time.

If XLIFF files “don’t need to worry about segmentation…” doesn't that meant that this is not a core feature? If segmentation is moved to the translation domain and adjusted at translation time, aren't we saying that segmentation is really a function of the import filter (and hence beyond the scope of XLIFF), just as it would be for any other file format? I don't need to indicate segmentation in Word or IDML, so what makes XLIFF different in this regard?

What is the case where you would need <segment> in the XLIFF file where that need wouldn't be met by a non-XLIFF process inside the tool?

I still don't see that clearly enough.

-Arle

Arle Lommel
Standards Coordinator
GALA Standards Initiative
+1 (707) 709 8650 (GMT -4)
Skype: arle_lommel
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/arlelommel
The GALA Standards Initiative promotes the effective use of standards for international and multilingual content, builds awareness of best practices for their implementation, and helps the localization community make open standards work.