Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 example files for segmentation

Hi David, all,

> What you are implying is that the extraction tool
> could create the XLIFF file using only the "core"
> elements, but the associated merge tool would have
> to be aware of all of the core and module elements in
> order to accurately process the translated XLIFF file.

No, like you, I certainly think that is unrealistic.

I'm simply saying that the merging process should be able to merge the <unit> regardless how many segments it counts.

And that is one of the reasons I think <segment> should be part of the core: The segmentation representation is just too important to the localization process to be an optional module.

The cost of dealing differently between sentence-segmented file and un-sentence-segmented files because of different representations would be much higher than the cost of forcing all tools to work with <segment>.

This is about setting the lowest common supported features for the tools: If we set it too low (i.e. not including segmentation representation) we will have many interoperability problems.

> 1. All tools processing an XLIFF file has to assume
> that all core and module features are completely
> supported.
> Is this really the case?

I think not. Like you said, there would be no point in having core and modules then.

All tools should support all features of the core obviously. And none of the optional modules should prevent a tool that supports only the work to work.