Subject: RE: [xliff] Request approval of "Preserve XML attribute or metadata without extensibility" proposal

Hi Rodolfo,

That does help. As I was proposing it, I did not see the metadata holder as a sub-flow element, nor did I see it as inline markup. But that is just my blind spot I suppose (maybe more the former, and less the latter).

So that part of my proposal is drudging up old mud. I should remove that 10% but still think about the better method you adapted.

I'll answer that on the appropriate thread (that I just saw enter my mail box).

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Rodolfo M. Raya
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:24 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Bryan,

Your examples are based on the “old” XLIFF 1.2 and we are working on version 2.0. One of the details we all agreed for XLIFF 2.0 is that we will no longer have sub-flow elements in inline markup. All text belonging to a sub-flow should be in its own <unit>.

Your example:

  <para id="g_3423_spectrum" alt="It's orders of magnitude faster" rev="c">This

    is orders  of magnitude faster than swept analysis techniques.</para>

needs to be stored in two <unit> elements, like this:

<unit id=”1”>

  <segment>

    <source> This is orders of magnitude faster than swept analysis techniques.</source>

  </segment>

</unit>

<unit id=”2”>

  <segment>

    <source>It's orders of magnitude faster </source>

  </segment>

</unit>

If we use the module for metadata that I proposed previously, you could have your attributes stored in this way:

<unit id=”1”>

  <segment>

    <source> This is orders of magnitude faster than swept analysis techniques.</source>

  </segment>

  <mtd:metaHolder type=”x-attributes”>

    <mtd:meta key=”id”> g_3423_spectrum </mtd:meta>

  </mtd:metaHolder>

</unit>

<unit id=”2”>

  <segment>

    <source>It's orders of magnitude faster </source>

    <mtd:metaHolder type=”x-attribute-subflow”>

      <mtd:meta key=”att-name”>alt</mtd:meta>

    <mtd:metaHolder>

  </segment>

</unit>

In the example above I placed metadata at two different levels. In the first case I used <unit> level to indicate attributes of the source XML element. In the second case I placed the data at <segment> level and indicated from which attribute it comes.

Any tool except your extraction filter should be able to safely ignore that metadata. As it would be only interesting for your tool, I prefixed the value in the “type” attribute with “x-“, as we used to do in old versions to indicate custom values.

Hope this helps,

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms
http://www.maxprograms.com