OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

xliff message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [xliff] Event "XLIFF TC Call" modified - Summary (amended)

XLIFF TC Call - Summary
Date: Tuesday, 20 March 2012, 11:00am - 12:00pm ET

[Amended: Alan was present]

=== 1/ Roll call

Present: Yves, Arle, Asanka, Lucìa, Helena, Bryan, Shirley, DavidW, Ingo, Rodolfo, Jung, Steven, Fredrik, Joachim, Uwe, Kevin, Alan

Regrets: Victor

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 06 March 2012 meeting minutes:

Bryan moves to accept the minutes
Arle seconds
No objections.

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking)

--- 1. Features proposed and seconded between meetings via mailing list, and features mentioned
a. Proposed and seconded: (B25) Preserve metadata without using extensibility http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking#XLIFF2.0.2BAC8-Feature.2BAC8-PreserveXMLattributeormetadatawithoutextensibility.A.28B25.29Preservemetadatawithoutusingextensibility

Bryan: goal is to preserve metadata
Without using extensibility
Bryan describes his proposal
Rodolfo: proposal is fine to store metadata in most place.
But where to put this? File, unit, segment, match, etc.

Rodolfo: Dataset maybe
Fredrik: those data should have no requirements (change, etc.)
Rodolfo: yes, the data has meaning just for the application that adds it.
Yves: not sure how big bag of data is interoperable
Fredrik: should not be for main features
Bryan: cannot anticipate all type of metadata
Joachim: fear that it would be used by tools to put info that are vital for document Why would such data could not be done using module?
Rodolfo: custom extension were expected to be updated Here those element are not to be maintain/updated by other tools per XLIFF specification
Fredrik: can't stop a tool who want to be non-conformant to be non-conformant.
See the need for this bag
Standardized stuff would have specific modules But also need to have such bag for non-standard stuff
Bryan: can't say what will go in this container.
Rodolfo/Fredrik: using namespace for this is restrictive.
Yves: seems to be a step back. Back to 1.0 <prop>
Rodolfo: correct.
Bryan: community doesn't want extensibility
Ingo: those data could be out of date and may need to be updated by the original tool.
Worried that we'll have hard time to port exiting extensions
Fredrik: we want to limit what other tools are required to do with other tools' extensions We want to increase interoperability
Rodolfo: and have a bag for 'other things'

Discussion to be continued online

=== 4/ Sub Committee Reports

Note: 2 nonbinding ballots were conducted between meetings (http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/ballots.php  ): 

Bryan: non-binding ballots results:

- Meeting frequency: 85 5/7% voted to keep the schedule as it is;
- Subcommittee reporting, 71 3/4% voted to continue to report each TC meeting, but move the SC report to after XLIFF 2.0 Technical Work

Fredrik: didn't get info that we had a ballot
Bryan: will report this to admin
Did send a note to the mailing list
Weak participation

Rodolfo: Kavi is also having issue with voting status.
Bryan: will raise that with admin too

--- 1. Inline text (Fredrik)

Minutes are here:

3 new members
New time to help West Coast
New feedback about bidi data (Unicode vs markup)

--- 2. XLIFF Promotion and Liaison SC Charter (David)

DavidF is not present.
Arle: David sent some notes.
DavidF would serve from MLWLT to XLIFF and Arle for XLIFF to MLWLT Survey on State of the Art tools is moving along Looking at LocWorld Seattle for XLIFF Symposium in a federated event with MLWLT

Bryan: also DavidF summarized the proposal for Liaison with MLWLT.

=== 5/ Current XLIFF business
Note: Moved some items to P & L SC; some remaining things need TC approval to move

Bryan: no activity on #1 and #2

1. XLIFF and TM, Glossary, Segmentation Rules (Christian)
- - Suggested we need to start thread evaluating TAUS survey

2. Using other standards vs. adding XLIFF modules (Arle, David W., Yves, Helena, . . .)

Note: shall we move this to Technical Issues for XLIFF 2.0 wiki page
(http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking#TechnicalIssuesforXLIFF2.0 )?
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201107/msg00023.html )

3. Normalized the state values in wiki http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201203/msg00045.html
Bryan: added a set of values for state (for feature tracking)
Rodolfo: need that ASAP

4. Propose limiting the number of features in the wiki (Rodolfo) http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201203/msg00064.html

Bryan: understood this as a way to freeze 'proposed features'
Currently wiki is open

5. Proposed OASIS XLIFF TC liaison with MultilingualWeb-LT (David) http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201203/msg00066.html 

=== 6/ New Business     

Rodolfo: Request to know if should source text be read-only or not.

- meeting adjourned

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]