Subject: RE: [xliff] Extensibility

Hi Yves,

The comments I've read on the first XLIFF Symposium indicate that users think that extensibility is bad for XLIFF. It is not a chimera, just users' perspective that could be short-sighted.

Badly used extensibility is what we have today. Implementation is bad, not the mechanism per se.

Extensions are not mainly used to overcome shortcomings in the spec as you say. They are used to hold data that the specification already handles well. I remember a presentation from Yamagata that demonstrates how badly tools are using extensions for holding data, like match quality, that is already contemplated in the specification.

It would be nice to include in XLIFF 2.0 all features vendors didn't find in XLIFF 1.2 and covered via custom extensions. The problem we face is that vendors are not really interested in participating in the design of XLIFF 2.0. We don't have actual proposals to overcome those shortcomings in the new version.

We have three basic options for dealing with extensibility:

1) Forbid custom extensions;
2) Allow extensibility without restrictions, as happens today;
3) Allow extensibility with clear regulations.

Option 2) is what users don't like.

We don't have a set of well written regulations for opting for option 3) yet. Unless we get a really good proposal for regulating extensibility, the only choice left is 1).

I'm looking forward to your email on implementing extensions the right way. I hope your proposal helps eliminating current bad practices.

Rodolfo M. Raya <RMRAYA@MAXPROGRAMS.COM>
Maxprograms http://www.maxprograms.com