Subject: RE: [xliff] What does/should "simplify" mean? (RE: [xliff] Minimum set of container elements for XLIFF 2.0)

Hi Bryan,

When thinking on an element for the standard, think on the value it ads as data holder. If it doesn’t add any meaningful value, it probably shouldn’t be there.

In terms of the old XLIFF 1.2:

-          <external-file> is only useful to contain an attribute that points to the location of the file.  The attribute can live at a higher level as well, so this element is not strictly required. It does not contain any data.

-          <skl> is there to contain either one <external-file> or one <internal-file>. If <external-file> is not really required, we can move the data from <internal-file> a level up and store it inside <skl>.

Current draft uses <skeleton> but we can rename it as <skl> for backwards compatibility. There is no data loss at all.

There are many things we have not designed yet for XLIFF 2.0, like holders for word counts or processing stage data (the old <phase>). These things are optional and not required at XLIFF creation time. If we add the corresponding modules, we can introduce <header> as natural container that would be nice to have.

Do we need <header>? The answer is probably not yet, but maybe later.

So, we have these main use cases for elements:

1)      contains PCDATA (<source>, <target>, <simpleNote>)

2)      contains a collection of similar elements and no data (<matches>, <notes>)

4)      acts as placeholder to indicate where extracted data should be placed on reverse conversion (empty inline elements)

A new element that doesn’t have one of those roles is probably not needed.

A new element that has the same functionality of an existing one is probably not needed. Instead of adding a new element it may be better to generalize the existing one.

Back to your minimum set of elements:

-           <external-file> does not fulfill any of the above use cases.

-          <skl> would only contain one element, so it does not have any of the roles mentioned above.

-          For the time being, <header> would only contain one element and thus would not really be necessary

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms
http://www.maxprograms.com