Subject: Re: [xliff] Source read-only or not?

Rodolfo,

> If source is not read-only, then it would be fine to throw away all annotations and change the elements used for inline markup. Right?

I bet there are cases where it would be fine. As a general rule, no, but it's not hard to think of a case where multiple tools are involved and someone could pre-process the XLIFF spit out from one tool to ensure it will work in another tool.

We may want to provide guidelines that apply for 99% of the cases, but the moment we make a blanket statement like saying source must be read only because we're worried about someone doing something we don't want, we will limit the usefulness of the specification for those who don't fit into what we anticipated.

That said, those who don't fit into what we anticipate will probably do what they're going to do anyway and a rule will not  deter them one way or another.

-Arle