Subject: Re: [xliff] translate and xml:space

I'd second what Yves says. In addition, with the new translate attribute in HTML5, which will be in ITS 2.0, the behavior Yves describes is the way it works. To require a different mechanism for XLIFF seems a strange state of things. We should be working to unify, as much as possible, some of these little oddities of behavior into consistent models. If we are going to have identically names attributes for basic functionality across different, but related, specs, having them work a bit differently and requiring totally different mechanisms to achieve the same behavior is bad design from a user-centered perspective and it also invites implementers to ignore the mandated behavior in terms of the one that makes sense. So why intentionally implement a behavior they are likely to want to change?

I think part of the problem, as Yves and Fredrik point out, is that translate=no can be overloaded for two different functions: (1) don't touch this thing and lock it (for whatever reason) and (2) don't translate this thing because it shouldn't be translated (e.g., it is a brand name or a legal text that applies to only one locale). In the case of the second one, it is entirely reasonable that you might set translate=no for a block but want to set it to yes for some portion of the inside because you are providing instruction to the translator about what to do (e.g., don't translate this except for this one bit). If you are using the attribute to lock the segment, that is a different story, and I agree that it doesn't make sense to lock it but then say that part of it is unlocked, because then you haven't really locked it.

So it would make sense to split the functionality and use two different mechanisms because, even though they are similar, they are not the same thing.

-Arle

--
Arle Lommel
Phone (U.S.): +1.707.709.8650