Subject: RE: [xliff] Question about joining/splitting segments

Hi,

> I'm still working on testing how our specification can be implemented and
> here are another couple of questions:
>
> === Joining:
>
> - A unit has two segments s1 and s2
> - The segment s1 has a translation candidate, not s2
> - A user agent joined the two segments together
>
> --> what is the expected behavior for the candidate?
>
> a) We remove because it is not a match to the new s1 anymore.

Can be removed or left there. It's a tool/user choice

> b) We keep it attached to the new s1 but we change its similarity/score
> attributes to some arbitrary value to indicate the match is not the same.

The tool could recalculate the similarity score. Updating it would be optional.

> c) We attach the candidate to the span of text that corresponded to the
> content of s1 before the join, using some <mrk> annotation for this (that we
> don't have defined yet).

No, please don't even think of this option.

> === Splitting:
>
> - A unit has a unique segment
> - That segment has a candidate attached to it
> - A user agent splits the segment into two new segments
>
> ---> what is the expected behavior for the candidate?
>
> a) We remove it because it is not a match to either new segments.

Can leave or remove, no problem. It's a tool/user choice.

> b) We keep it in the first new segment and change its similarity/score
> attributes to some arbitrary value to indicate the match is not the same. Note
> that tool will be able to reset it if the two segments are joined.

The tool may recalculate the match score and update it. This is a user/tool choice.

> c) We attach the candidate to the span of text that corresponded to the
> content of s1 before the join, using some <mrk> annotation (across two
> segments). Note that tools can reset it to its previous segment if the two
> segments are re-joined.

Please forget entirely about this option.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com