Subject: RE: [xliff] matches as a module

Hi Rodolfo, David, all

> You commented out the declaration of namespaces
> in your schemas:
> <!-- <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";
> schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd"/> -->
> If you restore the declaration, you will see
> that your schemas are not valid.

This import is commented out because xml.xsd doesn't need to be imported in the module: None of the attributes defined in xml.xsd is used directly in <matches> or <match>.

> You cannot include the matches module in the core schema
> and then try to include the core schema in the matches
> module. Circular references are not valid when working
> with XML schemas.

From what I read it seems that circular references are valid.
See for example this answer: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2005May/0061.html:

<cite> Yes, it is allowed. You must import a namespace if you refer to any components in that namespace, and it's certainly allowed for A to reference components in B while B refers to components in A. </cite>

And it certainly seems to be working: I can validate documents using those three XSD schemes. For example I can change matchQuality to be required and I get the expected error for the test file. And that works with the two validators I've used.

Maybe we can verify the schemes with a few XML Schema experts. If it is possible to have <matches> in its own module that would be better: We should follow our own rules on what is core or module.