Subject: RE: [xliff] Source read only or modifiable?

Hi Yves,

Annotations using <mrk> alter source text.

If the tool that creates the XLIFF decorates <source> with <mrk>, fine. All other tools used later in the translation chain must preserve them, even if they cannot take advantage of  those elements.

If the tool that creates the XLIFF doesn’t add <mrk> elements, then <mrk> elements should not be present when the XLIFF returns to the original tool for generating the translated file.

As we discussed the other day during the meeting, changes done by a second tool should be temporary and the original <source> restored before moving to the next tool/stage.

I proposed a solution for annotations some time ago that used offsets stored as attributes in an element outside <source> or <target>. Annotations don’t need to alter the original source. They don’t need to be inline elements at all, they can be optional elements that live in a module.

A tool that creates an XLIFF file should be able to receive a translated file with the same structure it generated. There should not be any extra element added during the translation process. Neither in <source> nor in <target>.

Normalizing spaces means modifying spaces. It is a change that should not be allowed in any stage if the xml:space attribute is set to “preserve”.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms
http://www.maxprograms.com