Subject: RE: [xliff] Source read only or modifiable?

Hi,

> > Normalizing spaces means modifying spaces.
> > It is a change that should not be allowed in any stage if the
> > xml:space attribute is set to “preserve”.
>
> The question was: "Would a content *not* marked with
> xml:space=’preserve’ be considered modified if it gets normalized?" (in the
> context of having a "read-only" source).

If xml:space is not set to "preserve", then spaces are meaningless from XML point of view and normalization does not affect content. That's something defined in a level above XLIFF.

> > Annotations using <mrk> alter source text.
>
> No more than <segment> elements.

An annotation does not represent anything included in the original document. It is neither original text nor formatting information that needs to be preserved.

> > If the tool that creates the XLIFF doesn’t add <mrk> elements, then
> > <mrk> elements should not be present when the XLIFF returns to the
> > original tool for generating the translated file.
>
> I disagree. Like with <segment>, the merging tool can strip the <mrk>. By
> definition they are not part of the content to merge.

If that's not part of the original content to merge, then it is not an essential inline element.

> This is how <mrk> is defined in 1.2 ("The <mrk> element is usually not
> generated by the extraction tool and it is not part of the tags used to merge
> the XLIFF file back into its original format.") and I certainly hope that the
> same principle will carry over in 2.0.

If it is not generated by the extraction tool, then it should not be in core. It must live in an optional module.

> > As we discussed the other day during the meeting, changes done by a
> > second tool should be temporary and the original <source> restored
> > before moving to the next tool/stage.
>
> We discussed this when talking about inline codes (e.g. converting text to
> inline codes, i.e. adding codes). We were not talking about <mrk> at that
> time.

We did not mention element names but we talked about elements added to <source> and <mrk> is an element.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com