Subject: RE: [xliff] Groups - Event "XLIFF TC Call" modified

Meeting minutes

==== Roll call

Present: Victor, Helena, Shirley, Tom, Fredrik, David F., Christian, Kevi, Ingo, Rodolfo, Bryan and Uwe.

Guests: Klemens Waldhör.

Regrets: Yves, Lucía, Asanka, Peter.

==== Administration

1. Approve Tuesday, 05 June 2012 meeting minutes:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201206/msg00002.html

Bryan moves to approve previous minutes. Rodolfo seconds and there are no objections.

2. Ballot results

The option for custom namespaces + XLIFF defined elements will be the official way to implement extensibility in XLIFF 2.0.

Rodolfo: needs wording for processing expectations regarding custom namespaces and a list of elements where custom namespaces are allowed. Also moved <metaHolder> to a module.

==== XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking )

Fredrik sent an email with initial proposals for handling BiDi text.

Fredrik: started working on a proposal for string length. He will send a draft for discussion when he has time.

Fredrik started analyzing different profiles for dealing with text expansion and storage size, tool defined scenarios and specification defined profiles.

Bryan: consider options for handling horizontal or vertical expansions when text length changes.

Christian: what is the meaning of profiles?

Fredrik: there are different combinations of character sets, measurement units or normalization cases. They have to be defined.

Klemens: What does encoding have to do with "string length"? Isn’t string length more related to the "visual display" of strings? Not to the internal character encoding used?

Fredrik: there could be storage limitations or requirements in mobile devices, for example.

David: Are you also considering display length?

Fredrik: not necessarily now. Storage mechanisms can be complemented with custom extensions.

Christian: You need at least a set of requirements.

Fredrik: if someone has a set of requirements, please share. I’m looking at my own requirements for the time being.

Klemens: Isn’t display size heavily associated with the font size?

Fredrik: it is in many cases but in some cases you cannot know.

David: Fredrik is working in a module but he would like to see character count info at core level. Other information could be at module level or custom extensions.

Bryan: agrees with David, character count should be in core.

Christian: there should be clear requirements.

Fredrik: last time we discussed the TC was interested on counting code points.

Victor: today at Oracle we count characters and bytes. We set maximum expansions on % of characters and bytes.

Christian: was this issue included in the survey that Lucía did?

Rodolfo: no, it is not.

Fredrik: will provide support for tool developers willing to count characters, byte size or storage requirements. He will send out his proposal for further discussion when it’s ready.

Christian: We currently use maxwidth="10" size-unit="char">

Bryan: Christian, can we discuss sub-setting XSDs?

Christian: brought the issue two meetings ago and the TC was not interested.

Bryan: will move the related entry in the wiki to section 3.

David: did we have a ballot for moving to section 3?

Rodolfo: there was no ballot but there was none interested on working on requirements and XSD sub-setting.

Rodolfo: Now that custom namespaces are allowed, there is no need for feature 2 in proposal sections of the wiki. ITS can now be used directly

David: Allowing ITS is not the same as native support. It could be used natively in inline elements.

Rodolfo: will it be allowed to have extensibility in inline elements that go inside <source> <target>?

David: yes, it would be interesting to have ITS in inline elements.

=== Sub Committee Reports

1.      Inline text (Yves)

Yves is no present.

Fredrik mentions that there was a nice face to face meeting in Dublin. The inline markup set was reduced. There will be one way of storing data, out of line storage. Conversion between spanning and single elements was discussed. Discussion of hard to define attributes happened at the meeting.

David: we were 7 TC members at the meeting.

2.      XLIFF Promotion and Liaison SC Charter (David)

David: the link for the call for papers for the next symposium is http://www.localizationworld.com/lwseattle2012/feisgiltt/xliffcall.html

Next XLIFF Symposium will be at LocWorld in Seatle. Participation in LocWorld will not be required. There will be discounts for participants of both events.

=== Current XLIFF business

1.      Announce Face to face https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201206/msg00010.html

Bryan: There could be a face to face meeting during the symposium.

=== New Business

Christian: Donna Parrish sent an email to the comments list pointing to the presentation Christian did in Paris. https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-comment/201206/msg00004.html

Meeting adjourned.