Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF TC Call - Tuesday, 17 July 2012 - Summary (amended)

Change: Added Kevin O'Donnell to the attendees list (he connected a bit after we started)

Subject: [xliff] XLIFF TC Call - Tuesday, 17 July 2012 - Summary

XLIFF TC Call - Tuesday, 17 July 2012 - Summary

=== 1/ Roll call

Presents: Bryan, Helena, Rodolfo, Shirley, Alan, Asanka, Peter, Yves, Steven, Tom, DavidW, DavidF, Christian, Michael, Joachim, Uwe, Kevin.

Regrets: Victor, Jungwoo, Fredrik

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 03 July 2012 meeting minutes:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201207/msg00004.html

Bryan moves to approve the minutes
Tom seconds
No objections

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking )

--- 1. Features proposed/discussed on the mailing list

e. BiDi draft https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201206/msg00001.html
Rodolfo: added file and unit: srcDir, trgDrir.
Source and target: dir
What about multi-lingual files?

<segment srcdir='..' trgdir='..'>
vs
 <source dir='..'>
 <target dir='..'>

No need for 'dir'
Yves: needed for inline anyway.

Rodolfo: may need something to block users to change set some attributes (e.g. id values, etc.)

Bryan: feature 2.8: translate state
Current state (1.2) used as lock. Some have said we should have a lock attribute.
There are several solutions.

Rodolfo: why translate vs lock?
Yves: two different things
Rodolfo: trans='no' lock='yes' is contradictory.
Bryan: translation-state is another related attribute So translate and lock is the issue?
Rodolfo: yes

--- Translation state:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/Feature/TranslationState

Rodolfo: can't have a complete list, so we may have to have extra.
Yves: what do we do then?
Joachim: not user are human. May need to have a basic main list And additional one for extra info.
Rodolfo: then the extra info would use extension
Joachim: idea is to have a close approximation for the close list

Christian: A long, long time ago I suggested the following list of values for "workflow state": not-executable, executable, started, suspended, aborted, preliminary-finished, finished

Joachim: possible solution: two-level mechanism.
New/mylist:new-string

Rodolfo: two attributes is the way not one with a composite value.

Yves: do we need translation-state in segment.
Rodolfo: not on segment
Yves: mean the target not the segment
Rodolfo: yes useful there.
Rodolfo: no proposal yet for this one.

Asanka Wasala (to All - Entire Audience):
I have analysed over ~3000 xliff files (constructed an XLIFF corpus ) and following are the values found for state attribute in the current xliff corpus: final, needs-review-l10n, needs-review-translation, needs-translation, new, signed-off, translated, needs-review, updated, user:translated, x-reviewed

Helena Shih:
 I do not see value in "translate" state in segment either.

Helena Shih: Personally, I do not like workflow driven info in XLIFF.

Helena Shih:
Feels like a "ktichen and sink" design.

=== 4/ Sub Committee Reports
--- 1. Inline text (Yves)

We validated some of the change decided during the F2F with non-attendees.
Waiting from feedback from alan for one item (unique storage for inline original data) Otherwise working on implementing the changes

--- 2. XLIFF Promotion and Liaison SC Charter (David)

- Mandate renewal need for the SC before the end of July.

- DavidF: Liaison with TC37 SC-5 (translation and interpretation) possible place for ISO publishing of XLIFF.
Peter and Joachim involved.

- 3rd Symposium: call for paper is out.
Deadline is in 2 weeks.
Only 2 proposals right now. More apparently in the pipeline (3 or 4).

Bryan: Remember the F2F meeting in Seattle.
Think will have a quorum.
Please tell Bryan if you are planning to attend.

=== 5/ Current XLIFF business

1. Announce Face to face https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201206/msg00010.html

See above.

2. DITA Translation  (with XLIFF) webinars by DITA Adoption TC https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201207/msg00023.html

Bryan: Webinar for DITA translation, some TC members will participate.
Rodolfo: probably free webinars, September, November, maybe January. 2 confirmed, 3rd considered. 2nd deals with XLIFF.

Bryan: Note the call for TIPP implementation.

=== 6/ New Business

Christian: not understanding the TIPP implementation call: link is wrong.
Bryan: will correct.
Note: linked in minutes is corrected.

Rodolfo: would like to have discussion about PE for custom extension.

DavidF: Asanka had some info on values for translation-state.
But corpus may not be representative. Maybe we could have industry people to provide data to asanka for gathering info.

-adjourned