Subject: RE: [xliff] Y22 - Translation proposals

We also have TermBase matches at MultiCorpora, as well as fuzzy matches which I’m sure are already on everyone’s list.

I’m not in favor of having a special category for what Helena is describing as “global matches” or “optimized matches”, as I’m sure every organization has special ways of pulling out the most relevant matches and I’m sure each organization’s way is different. In the end they are still exact or fuzzy matches, and Lucia’s comment about the provenance could handle these situations.

Regards,

SHIRLEY COADY

PRODUCT MANAGER | GESTIONNAIRE DE PRODUIT

(819)778-7070 ext./poste 229

scoady@multicorpora.ca

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Helena S Chapman
Sent: September-20-12 10:25 AM
To: Rodolfo M. Raya
Cc: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org; 'Yves Savourel'

I tend to agree with Rodolfo on the quality/score attribute on keeping it simple to just a well defined attribute. Any reason why something like edit distance could not be applied for "similarity" and if so why not just call it "edit_distance"?

On the type of matches, I have definitely seen MT, exact match (similar to the id-match), and in-context match in IBM. However, we have also just rolled out another implementation that does parallel search against thousands of terabytes or petabytes of data to try skim the fat off the cream elsewhere. Within IBM, we just call it "global match" or some referred to as "optimized match". Are other organizations doing something similar and is that type of match considered different from the three already stated?

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts