Subject: Y8 - translation state

Hi all,

I had a long standing action item to come up with an initial list of values for the translation state.
I've looked at the various tools and proposals, and they differ often widely.
Some indicates what should be do, other what has been done, and there is no apparent consensus on the steps between the first and the last states.

So, I would propose:

-- a) the attribute state is optional but as a default value.

-- b) like for some other customizable indicators, I would propose to use a composite value:

The first part would be required and one of the following values:

'new' - no work has been done on this segment
'translated' - the segment has been translated in some way, it possibly needs to be reviewed, QAed, etc.
'reviewed' - the segment has gone through review, it possibly needs to have extra QA, or checking steps done
'final' - the segment is final

The second part would be the now familiar prefix + custom value.

The order of the value indicates the level of readiness of the translation. For example, a custom value added to 'reviewed' must indicates a state of readiness greater than a custom value added to 'translated'.

This would allow tools to add their own stages at the different levels, but provide common broad indicator of the state of the translation.

For example a segment could go through the following states:

state='new'
state='translated
state='translated/xyz:edit1-done
state='reviewed/xyz:translator-review-done
state='reviewed/xyz:rejected-by-client-review
state='reviewed/xyz:translator-review-done
state='reviewed/xyz:client-review-done
state='final'

-- c) The approved attribute is segment is conflicting with the state. For example what is the expectation when approved is set to yes but state is set to new?

Most of the comments I've seen point out these kinds of problem. I think we should have only one way to indicate what the status of the translation is, and it should probably be 'state'.

Somewhere in the specification we have this: " A <unit> element is considered to be translated when all its <segment> children with translate attribute not set to no have the approved attribute set to yes."

I'm not sure this is needed. Since the state is customizable, I'm not sure XLIFF can prescribe when a segment is ready or not.