Subject: RE: [xliff] Y22 - Translation proposals

I am curious whether when we say "similarity" we also meant "synonymity"? For example, "big" and "large" often has the same meaning even within context. There is a situation where we do automatic replacements even if the words are not "similar" but with the same meaning.

Also, in your examples:

type="cb/maxprog:exact-context"
type="am/okp:substrings"

What is the likelihood of other types of "cb" in maxprog that is not "exact-context"? or "am" type matches that are not composed of substrings from various segments in okp? In most cases, I can't find real examples of more than one user defined strings. Having said that, I can see we might use,

type="tm/hadoop:short"
type="mt/lucy:long"

where the payment of each segment match is determined by the length of the segment. Is that what you are thinking?

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts

From:        Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
To:        <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        10/02/2012 07:36 AM
Sent by:        <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

From all your comments it seems the indicator we could attach to a match would be an attribute that indicate how similar the source content of the entry and the source content of the match are, and an attribute providing a basic clue about where that match is coming from.

I propose:

To change 'matchquality' to 'similarity' and have that to be a decimal value between 0.0 and 100.0, where 100.0 would indicate that both source content are identical.

To have an optional 'type' attribute that hold a string providing a basic idea of what kind of match the candidate is.
Rodolfo already added a list of values for this. I would propose to change it to the following:

The value would be a composite value, made of a required first part that would be one of the following:

'tm' - Translation memory, indicates a candidate from a TM
'mt' - Machine translation, indicates a candidate from a MT system
'ib' - ID based, indicates a candidate that is based on an ID match
'cb' - Context based, indicates a candidate that is context based
'am' - assembled match, indicates a candidate that has been constructed from various parts

(I don't think we should have 'exact match' because that information is provided by the similarity attribute).

And an optional second part that would be a user-defined value made of a prefix and a user-specified string. For example:

type="cb/maxprog:exact-context"
type="am/okp:substrings"
type="ib"

The idea is to have some basic common categories while allowing customization of the type.

Note also that the 'state' attribute would still be available for the translation, possibly providing extra hints on how the match is useable.

If the idea of a composite value is rejected I would propose to at least use the prefix:value pattern for the user-defined values, to keep things consistent with other user-defined attribute. IMO the prefix is better than x- because it allows to identify better the custom value.

It seems there is a rough consensus that the only ‘match’ indicator that would be