Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: [xliff-inline] Propose 2 enhancements to @fs

Hi Yves,

Ok. Now I’ve got it. (1) Make fs interoperable; (2) Add an fs mechanism to store the path of images to render. And presumable doing (2) helps achieve (1).

Maybe we are in violent agreement after all.

I’m in favor of (1) – and I’m not aware of how anything I said earlier in the thread is counter to that, including my observation that some XLIFF will be good candidates for fs, and some XLIFF will not (interoperable - ly, across the board for all). Example, I cannot imagine my firmware XLIFF files lending themselves to a just-in-time browser view facilitated by fs – nothing to do with interoperability.

If you are saying that my attempts to render images via fs, based on non-fs-contained information, located elsewhere in an XLIFF file contradicts interoperability – I say okay – let’s fix it (which leads us to (2)).

Regarding (2) – were you just talking about images? Or do we want to  add a mechanism to fs to address other potentially tricky browser rendering situations as well (like maybe cross references, variables, entities, conrefs, OOP . . .)?

My reason for asking, if it’s just image paths, I agree with you that the solution is easy. I have no qualms about, for example, breaking fs into a pair of attributes. We could have fs-element and (optionally) fs-path:

 <segment>
 </segment>

The only tricky thing I can think of in this case is how to express in XML Schema that @fs-path can only exist if @fs-element exits.

I just wonder how far down the rabbit hole we’d have to go if we tried to solve fs issues for every situation (beyond just images) we could think of.

Eager for more thinking on this topic,