Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: [xliff-inline] Propose 2 enhancements to @fs

Hi Bryan, all,

let me explain how I understand the purpose of fs.

It is a necessary and minimal context preview mechanism and as such it belongs to the core IMHO. Context is all important for translation and we should not send the bad message to the community by not having a preview mechanism in the core.

I am not at all worried that it cannot address showing images in rtf or dtp formats. we should not be mixing the source and the preview format, as they are different things and have different purposes. fs is a minimum preview mechanism that is accessible to everyone up and down the lane. It is the extractor's worry if they are able to use simple html preview provisions for representing a simplified version of their context, and it is not in fs scope to solve this. Some may decide that representing rtf via fs is a worthy cause and they may join forces and spec a best practice committee note for that end. But such a note is by no means a part of the core fs functionality. Providing fs preview artefacts is IMHO not necessarily connected to the real skeleton that is needed for merging back. In fact in most cases (even most HTML cases) the fs will be much simpler than the real thing.. This said there should be a best practice mapping for a small number of formats..

Nevertheless, I do agree with Yves that the fs should be designed with HTML (or XHTML) well formedness in mind and I also think that a minimal viable xsl leading to a valid html display is in scope of the feature.

The discussion so far opened lot of interesting issues around skeleton, local and internal and so on, but I think that fs as it was scoped on the feature tracking wiki is only very loosely related to the discussions. I'd very much like to see fs as simple html preview mechanism (no matter what the source) and part of core.

The conformance should be like this. If a tool provides a simple html preview via xliff, it must do so using fs. This does not prevent people from using proprietary, heavy duty, and high fidelity mechanisms linked to the real skeleton..

Thanks and cheers