Subject: RE: [xliff] Translation state (Y8)

Hi Rodolfo,

So 'approved' would indicates what segments should be merged back if I understand correctly?

Currently the definition is overlapping what we have come up for state (or vice-versa):

"Approved - Indicates whether the translation of a <segment> element is final or has passed its final
review."

We also have this:

"A <unit> element is considered to be translated when all its <segment> children with translate
attribute not set to no have the approved attribute set to yes."

I'm not against having something that indicate what should be merged into the translated original document at some point in time. We just need to make sure 'approved' and 'state' (assuming the F2F consensus gets approved by a quorum) don't overlap.

That was one of the issue raised by users for 1.2: approved and state could have contradictory values.

From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Rodolfo M. Raya
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 5:33 AM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Yves,

Approved and state are two different things. You may have something as approved that's good enough for a first pass but needs further review before it gets marked final.

Translation projects with four stages (translation, proofreading, review and second review) are quite common in my work area. A segment is normally marked as "approved" by the proofreader and only the reviewers set the state to "final".

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com