Subject: RE: [xliff] Namespace in modules

Hi David, Fredrik, all,

I think option 3 is fine.
I would just possibly reword one part of it from:

> Namespaces of private custom extensions (member submissions) promoted
> to official XLIFF modules must be replaced by OASIS XLIFF TC namespaces.

Namespaces of private custom extensions MUST be replaced by namespaces from OASIS or another standardization body to be promoted to a module.

The rational:

- I simply no idea what "member submission" means here and it doesn't seem to add much to the text.
- Owners of private namespaces may prefer to 'standardize' their proposed namespace elsewhere than OASIS for whatever reason (e.g. membership they have, politics, whatever, re-usability, etc.)

Adding something about the IP right is also a good idea. I think Rodolfo voiced that concern at the last call.
I'm not sure how to word that though. Maybe something like:

Namespaces used in a module MUST have IP rights compatible with the IP rights of the XLIFF specification.

This would give us the following:

========

A module is an optional set of XML elements and attributes that stores information about a process applied to an XLIFF document and the data incorporated into the document as result of that process.

Each module is defined in a section of the XLIFF specification. The schemas of the XLIFF core or modules indicate where the elements and attributes of each module can be used. Modules can be placed in locations that are not extension points.

Each version of XLIFF has a fix set of modules. Adding or removing one or more modules from the latest version of XLIFF requires to increment the version of XLIFF.

A module MUST use namespaces of only final specifications from OASIS (including the ones produced by the XLIFF TC) or from other established standardization bodies such as the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), the International Standards Organization, or the Unicode Consortium. Namespaces of private custom extensions MUST be replaced by namespaces from OASIS or another standardization body.

Namespaces used in a module MUST have IP rights compatible with the IP of the XLIFF specification.

========

But I think we still have the 3rd paragraph to resolve. The wordings here reflect just what I currently think is the only way to add/remove module to the specification. But if there is another way that avoid publishing new version that would be great. I'm just not seeing other way.