Subject: Reference translation feature (R41)

Hi Ryan, All

I think it would be good if we did not restrict reference translations to be in a language pair other than the main pair of the file. The potential use cases I can see for this is reference translations that have the same language pair but are inappropriate due to differences in target audience or dialect / vintage of the language. For English I believe there are language codes for historic forms but that is not the case for many other languages. Also it might be useful to provide for example the source and translation of a sentence from a legal document (contract / terms of use etc.) when translating a layman’s explanation of that document. I don’t see anything in the current proposal that would disallow this, but I have not seen this use mentioned so wanted to bring it into view.

Regards,

Fredrik Estreen