Subject: Re: [xliff] Conflicting requirements w.r.t. Modules vs Extensions

Fredrik, this issue was not introduced by the recent ballots.

The issue is inherent to the modular design. We went for a modular design to be able to develop the standard more flexibly.

From the start we say, extensions must not compete with core and module features. So every time you add a module you are potentially making some previously valid extensions illegal. Working on the modules, we should try and engage with owners of affected extensions and owners of extensions should actively follow the standard's development to make sure that the module replacing their extension does what they need.

I do not think that it is a good idea to revisit the recent ballots, and the 1st two solutions you propose would require revising them (each one of them).

The solution I propose is the one that you do not list, i.e. no action.

The preservation requirements for module and extension are not wildly different. Implementers are not encouraged to serially kill extensions. The distinction is exactly as needed, we cannot guarantee survival of extensions, because we do not know what is in them, if they are mutually conflicting etc.

I do not see how extensions would not become illegal after a new module is introduced, just because they would have the same level of protection as modules. They are becoming illegal by competing for functionality not by different PR.

Technical mechanism how to tell modules from extensions is the current schema. Implementers will try to preserve both, modules and extensions indiscriminately, because they MUST preserve modules and SHOULD preserve extensions. If they feel like deleting something they will need to lookup the schema to see if they can. If they want to delete module data, they will need to start supporting the module to be able to use its specific deletion PRs.

There is another issue, the module owners (with the exception of yourself) did not add module specific PRs, so that modules are now indeed indelible, which is clearly sub-optimal.

Cheers