Subject: RE: [xliff] 1.2 to 2.0 Gaps and Proposals

Yves,

I still believe we need to add termbase matches to the list. I don't see any category below in which a termbase match could be grouped.
While I'm not disputing there may be some, I'm not personally aware of any tool that does not separate the terminology base from the TM. I understand that frequently the termbase is used to identify or replace terminology within a segment, and that's not a segment "match", but there are a lot of valid situations in which the entire segment is replaced from the termbase.
One of the best examples I have is when translating UN documents / conference meeting minutes, there is always a list, many pages long, of all participating delegates. We advise the users of our software to enter these in a termbase - I understand this is not traditional terminology but if you can automatically translate these, it's about saving time. Same thing with slogans, titles of government ministries that change routinely (at least in Canada they do!), standard disclaimers, etc.

Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Yves Savourel
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:05 AM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Ryan, all,

> ... see my inline to your inline.
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you document
> and get this added to the specification.
>  Do you feel we need to have a roll call vote on these items in the next TC call?

(this is related to the proposed changes in the match module) see below).

Personally I think it's best to work by consensus first, and only go to ballot when there is no consensus.
This TC is very ballot-driven so you should do whatever make sense in your opinion.

As for moving things forward:

- type probably needs a revised list

- subType and ref probably need to be defined as they would appear in the specification.

So people can see it and provide feedback if they want.
If there is no feedback, one can assume there is no dissent and update the specification.

I'm afraid I have not much time to do specification update currently, but Bryan, Tom or David may.

cheers, (and sorry for being slow to answer emails) -yves