Subject: Re: [xliff] Groups - Event "XLIFF TC Call" added

Bryan. I would like to point to the elephant in the room and let's have a blunt discussion. I personally have real concerns with the direction of XLIFF 2.0. For example, the ability to include binary entities into XLIFF as a "container". Especially this late in the game for 2.0.

To me, XLIFF is an interchange format for "textual" content for localization purposes during the content life cycle. Using embedding binary in XLIFF as an example again, I want to know very clearly the reason for including binary entities into an interchange format and expect the tools to actually understand how to parse and process that in a interoperable fashion. I maintain XLIFF is NOT a processing format by design though some vendors may choose to use it so, it does NOT serve the purpose of the majority users' intent for using XLIFF.

Why would one want to include binary entity in XLIFF? Is it to pass video files embedded in content between systems? If so, the only thing the translation vendor would need to worry about really is the audio and transcript portion of the file. Why can't one just use SSML (http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/) for the purpose of that interchange? Why introduce that complexity into XLIFF? Why can't it be managed as an external reference with an absolute path if needed? When it comes to binary entities, there is too much complexity around how it can be "processed", "understood", and "exchanged" consistently across systems, trying to absorb all that into XLIFF is simply asking for trouble.

XLIFF is becoming a "kitchen and sink" standard in the last few months and I do not agree with this direction. I am very lucky in that I have a much simpler job than most on the TC. I am in charge of my entire company's internationalization and translation architecture, tools and processes and we tell our vendors what to do. For these XLIFF 2.0 features that I disagree with, I simply tell my team that these features are simply passthrus that we do not process or support within our operation. However, for a real tool vendor who has to support more than a single client scenario, things are not as easy. This also points to the fact that we do NOT have enough major tool vendor participation (except for Lionbridge) to make this 2.0 effort really worthwhile.

I have abstained and kept quiet on the last few calls, however, I realized it perhaps is not in the best interest of XLIFF TC or myself if I continue to do so. I would prefer my name is not associated with a standard that cannot be widely adopted by the localization industry.

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts

From:        Bryan Schnabel <bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com>
To:        xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        12/03/2012 12:21 AM
Subject:        [xliff] Groups - Event "XLIFF TC Call" added
Sent by:        <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Submitter's message
Two Notes:

1 - I will spend a few minutes announcing a change in secretary personnel
2 - We've had a very robust mailing list session. I will parse the emails and provide a summary for the agenda so we can hit the ground running
-- Bryan Schnabel
Event Title: XLIFF TC Call

Date: Tuesday, 04 December 2012, 11:00am to 12:00pm EST
Description

Please join my meeting.

Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

  France: +33 (0) 182 880 780

  Germany: +49 (0) 892 2061 159

  Spain: +34 911 23 0850

  Sweden: +46 (0) 852 500 612

  United Kingdom: +44 (0) 203 535 0611

  United States: +1 (773) 945-1031

Access Code: 905-529-225

Meeting ID: 905-529-225

This meeting counts towards voter eligibility.

Agenda
=== 1/ Roll call

=== 2/ Administration

--- 1. Approve Tuesday, 20 November 2012 meeting minutes:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201211/msg00114.html

--- 2. XLIFF TC officer update

--- 3. Updates to features in SVN: when a ballot is needed, and when a simple acknowledgment of the feature owner will do

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking )

--- 1. Features proposed/discussed on the mailing list

 a.  Lots of emails, I will parse them, and summarize here, before the meeting

--- 2. XLIFF 2.0 Technical issues (
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking#TechnicalIssuesforXLIFF2.0 )

--- 3. Conformance criteria

--- 4. Charter: Need to bring up to date to reflect XLIFF 2.0

     David's proposal
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201209/msg00001.html

     Here’s the current charter

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/charter.php

=== 4/ Sub Committee Reports

--- 1. Inline text (Yves)

--- 2. XLIFF Promotion and Liaison SC Charter (David)

=== 5/ Current XLIFF business

=== 6/ New Business

Owner: Bryan Schnabel
Group
: OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
Sharing
: This event is shared with the OASIS Open (General Membership), and General Public groups.
Public Event Link

[attachment "ical_34010.ics" deleted by Helena S Chapman/San Jose/IBM]