Subject: RE: [xliff] Groups - Event "XLIFF TC Call" added

David,

There are a number of factual errors in your below mail which I would like to correct. This is because I would like to have a constructive discussion, and to avoid wrong history keeping records.

1)       The ballot on the bin-unit was announced ad-hoc, in the TC call, after 2 work days of the bin-unit being discussed on the mailing list.

2)       The voting on the bin-unit feature went with 3 abstains, all others were yes. The abstains were Rodolfo, Fredrik, and myself. In voting, an abstain typically means that you have not yet been able to form a clear decision.

3)       As I see it, Helena,  and later I, were making (different) constructive proposals to solve the problems we see. You claim however that we are non-constructive. Please explain your position.

I would really appreciate if we could get a discussion about what XLIFF tries to achieve. As I said in my previous mail, our assumption is that an XLIFF file’s content can be translated without additional knowledge other than the XLIFF spec. If that is a wrong assumption please elaborate.

Thank you,

Joachim

From: Helena S Chapman [mailto:hchapman@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Freitag, 14. Dezember 2012 20:24
To: Dr. David Filip
Cc: Bryan Schnabel; Schurig, Joachim; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

I am the first one to admit, I am not in the best position to be on the XLIFF calls to make judgements on some of these issues sometimes. Having all these features proposed in 4Q is also not great timing for me at work considering a lot of us are getting pulled different directions to accomplish good revenue results by year end. Having said that, my juggling different job responsibilities does not excuse me for letting this one and maybe even others fall thru the cracks. I take full responsibilities for not voicing this earlier and I will take initiative to ensure the IBM voting members on this TC voice their concerns timely in the future. Otherwise, we are better off not attending at all.

I officially rescind my position if I had voted for it previously, I thought my position was abstain and in one of the meetings I had asked for more time for discussion on some line items though I cannot say which one it was at this point. My apologies for those who were inconvenienced by this. I would vote for NO on this today. Others from the IBM can voice their own opinions.

In the last three meetings, we were asked to vote on more features than I have ever seen previously in the limited amount of time I was involved. I am quite uncomfortable with the direction switching from slow dance to hip hop in less than 0.5 seconds. I personally am not prepared and did not have the time to absorb all the comments and emails prior to the meetings. This may be an indication that I may not be the best person from IBM to participate in this activity and that's something I will need to consider carefully for next year's activities.