Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: Resource Data Module <was: RE: [xliff] Binary Module>

Thanks Joachim, I think saying “textual” or “non-textual” is too ambiguous and that is why I removed it from this version of the draft. If I have resizing information in my resource file, and it is stored as a base64 encoded binary blob, some might argue that it is just text by the very fact it is base64 encoded. If I were to expose the resizing information as numerical values equating to XYZ coordinates instead, is that text? Or because they are numerical values, they aren’t text? On a higher level, XML could be considered just text. So I don’t want implementers to misunderstand and think that the module only allows referencing pure binary files like a jpeg. I understand the spirit of your comment, however, and would welcome alternate terminology.

ryan

From: Schurig, Joachim [mailto:Joachim.Schurig@lionbridge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:36 AM
To: Ryan King; Helena S Chapman
Cc: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for the changes. I am a lot more comfortable with this approach now, too!

I think it would still make sense to explicitly highlight that referenced non-context resource data (= for translation) shall not be textual data. Or would English natives imply this from the name of it?

Cheers,

Joachim