Subject: RE: [xliff] R37: Revised Validations Module proposal

Hi Kevin, Helena

I think it makes sense to leave the RegEx and custom rules out of the spec for the first version. Selecting and defining a single RegEx flavor to use for localization standards would indeed be good. But there are quite a few obstacles.

For me the proposed rules seem to cover the common cases I see. Except for the more complex ones involving content vs. inline tags. But such rules could be added later.

The difference between noLoc and mustLoc is not so much about what would be flagged as it is about what message to report to the user for the different types of error. It would make sense to use a common implementation for both but allow different severity / report message to be defined for the two types of rules. But with the implementation neutral specification that does not need to go in the standard. Perhaps a clarifying sentence in the rule description would be helpful though.

The normalization issues brought up are interesting. I don’t think it is a major issue since the strings in the rules are tightly coupled with the content of the file or the localization style of the files provider. So I expect that if a mustLoc rule requires localization to use a word with a “ß” in it that the rule should flag a replacement with “ss”. But normal Unicode normalization would probably make sense (or be optionally available) since there will be no control on how the user entered the target content.

For spaces I’m not sure but I’m leaning towards thinking that it would make sense to have an option that either require identical type of (character code) spaces in source and target, or treat all Unicode spaces as equal. I don’t think that the joiners are considered spaces and to me it would make sense to include them as any character in the text to match, Either they come from source (presumably coordinated with the rules) or they are mandated / forbidden in the target portion for a rule like mustLoc based on expected localization style.

Overall I think the revised proposal looks like a good initial validation feature. Some details like the normalization issues and probably the exact set of rules to include might need more discussion and tight(er) language. But the general design should allow for interoperable behavior without depending on solving the more complex issues that even extend beyond Xliff.

Best regards,

Fredrik Estreen