Subject: RE: [xliff] Latest Changes: Resource Data Module

Thanks David for the feedback. I have updated the attached pdf (highlighted in green) based on the below items.

#2 – zero, one or more.

#3 – I think of <reference> as a second “source” for the translator in a different language, which is for reference only, and therefore, not required for translation, so it could be created or removed depending on use case, and like a contextual <source> element, it shouldn’t be modified.

#4 – We’ve discussed this on other threads. Since the XLIFF standard cannot possibly understand external XML (or other resource) formats, the most we can expect is for a user agent to do something with it based on the mime-type, e.g. for text/xml, display it in an XML viewer or editor. Beyond that, implementers would need to define a custom attribute to determine how to handle it. See my example (xtr:editor) in the attached mail. It was decided in a subsequent TC conference call to make resourceDataID part of the module, now called resourceDataRef, but the attribute for handling the resource needs to remain custom.

Thanks,

Ryan