Subject: Re: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 spec - dF sanity check of translation candidates module

Thanks Yves,

answering inline..

> I think the text/attributes/values in the current draft don't reflect the later discussions.
> See for example https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201212/msg00065.html
> and some of the emails (before and after) from Ryan, Shirley, Helena, etc.
OK, I see I will update the spec with the reference during this week.
But the issue of types and subtypes is still entangled with the scores
issue below.. Yet, I see value in changing the spec to reflect the
discussion for now.

> As for similarity: we had that discussion long ago and agreed that it was not meant to represent how good the translation was, just how close the source text of the candidate was from the source text of the original. And for the 'match-quality' (score) , if I recall well at the time the consensus was that the value was not meaningful across tool so we didn't have one.

I agree with you and Helena that scores are meaningless across tools
[until a matching standard is specified, by ULI? when?], no matter if
you call them similarity or quality etc.
IMHO the solution is not to ban the attribute but make a tool
identifier mandatory if the scores are present.
In my view both similarity and match-quality can be subsumed under
something like match suitability, both are values between 0 and 100,
so I do not see value in splitting them.. Where would I store the
mtconfidence given the current proposals?