Subject: Issues

Hi David, all,

I had no time to do much work with XLIFF the past few months (and still don't), but I took a few minutes to randomly look at a few places through the latest specification are came up with some notes:

-- There are several attribute that use - in their names. This goes against the name convention we decided early on for 2.0 where we use camel cases rather than dashes.

-- The <cp> element has now attributes like size-info. I think this is wrong as this element is just an escape mechanism (it would be like trying to assign a restriction to "&lt;")

-- The attribute equiv-storage makes no sense on <cp> has this element is not meant to store native code.

-- There are several occurrences of "Xliff" in the document. It should be "XLIFF".

-- A space seems to be missing after several "value description:" occurrences

-- the PR "If the normalization attribute is set to "none", or is not present, it is up to the processing agent to decide how to handle normalization." contradict the description for "none" that says: "No normalization should be done". Either it's up to the tool or "no normalization should be done", but it can be both ways.

-- Minor: the disabled attribute in the Validation module is a bit awkward as the default is a double negative (disabled='no'). Maybe enabled='yes' would be simpler. People tend to get confused with double negatives.

-- There is no mention of how to escape '(' and ')' in mustLoc. Actually the text doesn't even mentions that the () are part of the syntax, it's only implicit with the example.

-- Note sure: In Change tracking, should the attribute "datetime' be "dateTime"? or maybe just "time" to avoid the problem.

-- In many places attributes and elements names in the text are not links (e.g. in H.1.4.8 equiv-storage: <ec>, isolated, and <sc> should point to their definition).

-- In "When a <file> element contains an <skeleton> child, the optional skeleton attribute must not be present.", "must not" should be upper cased.

-- "When the skeleton attribute is present, the <file> element must not have an <skeleton> child." should "must not" should be upper-cased and "an" should be "a".

-- In "The value of the optional id attribute must be unique among all <file> children of the enclosing <xliff> element.", "must" should be upper case.

-- There is a space missing in "or <group>elements in any".

-- IMO for match-quality and match-suitability the two notes should just be part of the description.

-- The text after the attributes names are sometimes capitalized sometime not. (e.g. "Identifier - A character string..." vs. "Similarity - indicates the similarity...") we should be consistent.

-- The "if and only if" in the PR "Tools processing this module MUST make use of match-suitability for match display ordering if and only if the attribute is specified." makes no sense: if the attribute is not present you obviously cannot use it. It also makes little sense to mention 'display' as some other tasks like auto-copy can be done using the attribute. In general, I'm a bit worried about this attribute which seems

that's all for now.