Subject: Re: [xliff] Re csprd01 comment 006 was: Fwd: what was our position on core, modules, extensions order in XLIFF 2.0?

Ryan, thanks for catching those omissions.., more details inline below..

The resulting proposed tree here:

<xliff> 1

+---<file> +

     +---<skeleton> ?

     +---<mda:metadata> ?

     +---<res:resourceData> *

     +---<slr:profile> ?

     +---<val:validation> ?

     +--- At least one of (<group>* or <unit>*)

     +---<group> *
     |   |
     |   +--- At least one of (<group>* or <unit>*)
     |   |
     |   +---<mda:metadata> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<val:validation> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<any> *

     +---<unit> *
     |   |
     |   +---<segment> +
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<source> 1
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<target> ?
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<notes> ?
     |   |   |    |
     |   |   |    +---<note> +
     |   |   |
     |   |
     |   +---<ignorable> *
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<source> 1
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<target> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<notes> ?
     |   |   |
     |   |   +---<note> +
     |   |
     |   +---<originalData> ?
     |   |       |
     |   |       +---<data> +
     |   |
     |   +---<mtc:matches> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<gls:glossary> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<mda:metadata> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<ctr:changeTrack> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<val:validation> ?
     |   |
     |   +---<any> *

     +---<any> *

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Ryan King <ryanki@microsoft.com> wrote:

Hi David, Fredrik, all,

Just curious, but what is the rationale for enforcing an order of elements (sorry if I missed it in a discussion somewhere)?

IMHO there was no discussion, just that there traditionally was an enforced order of elements.
Yves said in his comment that he does not see a reason to enforce order and I did not see (or missed) discussions pertaining to this comment.
IMHO (supported by the view of our developers) having a standard order may make processing easier (and I do not mean processing as an internal format, as this is out of scope and I do not want to discuss that again) than in case all can be anywhere.

IMHO there are three general options,

1) say that order is always arbitrary [not sure how developers would like this, listing this just to be logically complete]
2) have always core > modules > extesnions and have modules order arbitrary
3) enforce canonical order - consistent on all levels

The detailed proposal below is for option 3
we currently have option
4) i.e. canonical order with inconsistent order on different levels, which seems suboptimal

Regarding the structure you have below, David:

1.      I believe the ballot passed to remove <gls:glossary> from <file>.

Good catch, Sean was not aware of this and I forgot to remove it

2.       [Removed modules and extensions from segment, anticipating the resegmentation solution] I believe <notes> needs to be removed from <segment> as well.

This also depends on the resegmentation discussion outcome. I beleieve that notes as a core element does not need to be necessarily removed, or at least it does not go automatically with the decision to dump modules and extensions

You are right, we should be consistent here

Ryan