Subject: csprd01 014 MetaData Module lacks processing requirement

I propose we do the following to enable the capture of attributes for an XML roundtrip, using the maximalist method (i.e., to not use a skeleton):

(1) make the processing requirement: “agents MAY ignore the <metadata> element, but the MUST NOT remove it.”

(2) Change 2.1 form "Should" to "MUST": "A tool processing a valid XLIFF document that contains custom elements that it cannot handle MUST preserve those elements."

Note: 2.7.2 seems to imply that the maximalist method must not be used in an XML roundtrip by prohibiting the use of the Metadata module for creating a translated version of the original document. The TC has not agreed to cease support for the maximalist method, so I propose the following:

(3) Change 2.7.2 form "must" to "SHOULD"; and limit the clause to just extensibility: change "Tools must not rely on user extensions (either in the Metadata module or custim [typo] namespace based) other than the ones possibly defined in <skeleton> to create the translated version of the original document." to "Tools should not rely on custom namespace based extensions other than the ones possibly defined in <skeleton> to create the translated version of the original document."

Note: I am purposefully not addressing the use of the Metadata module as it impact the discussion on re-segmentation. I’ll leave that in the other thread.

Please let me know if you have any questions or objections by July 8. If not I will consider this matter resolved and make the updates to the spec.